This is an update of Princess Pearl. OMG it is so different from the last post of her. It’s different from this post too, since I’ve been working on the underskirt a little, and I pulled off some of the fabric areas. The headpiece is different now, but I will show it again soon.
Here she was in March 2013:
And here she is now:
Here’s a picture of her out in the sun. Because the sun is making shadows, it shows the 3D aspect of the collage better.
All those fabric rolls on her headpiece are gone now and I’ve redone it with hole punch dots – it’s looking better – I will post a pic soon.
One fantastic lesson I have learned from working on this piece is not to be afraid to back up if something has to go. The day I decided to peel her face off and start over, I got some criticism from family. There was some opinion that I was making excuses to not finish the work. I guess you can see it was the right decision. Peeling off a bad part was scary, for the psychological, self-doubt type of reasons but also the fear of completely wrecking the piece, but now I know that if something is not working it has to go. Now when I remove stuff I have confidence. I also learned that vinegar dissolves glue and I can remove stuff without tearing the canvas or making an overworked looking mess.
Pearl and I will be back soon 🙂